Welcome to the LBRFC U14s page
At Under 14 the game is played between teams made up of a full compliment of 15 players being 8 forwards and 7 backs. Matches are made up of 2 halves of 25 minutes. All relevant normal laws now apply to the game at this age, save for a few minor amendments reflecting junior age group rugby.
Training starts at 10am sharp on a Sunday – we’re sticklers for this believing that such simple disciplines help the boys become more reliant on each other when it comes to taking the field and in addition it’s a good life skill for outside of rugby. We’re fortunate that combined with the thumbscrews appearing regularly in the mini years means that everyone now by and large complies.
As a coaching team we take the view that everyone who trains should have the opportunity to play and we try and avoid pigeon-holing players in the same position every week. This has given us a very rounded and flexible squad meaning we can easily adapt to players going missing on seemingly important family events, getting injured (really? Just run it off, it’ll be fine…) or holidays on a Sunday. Really, they should by now have their priorities set of 1) Rugby; 2) everything else.
In addition to Sunday’s, we generally also train on a Wednesday evening, not least if we have a fixture on the following Sunday.
Fixtures take place around the local-ish area, with the team partaking in the East Midlands league, East Midlands Cup and Bedfordshire Cup. In addition we play a few friendly matches each season against teams that we either have good relations with, will give us a good combative performance or who we can get a morale boosting win against if we feel the need!
This has lead us to a tight-knit, but not cliquey, squad. Each year we’ve had new players joining and they’ve been welcomed by the existing players and quickly find their feet. We’re a friendly bunch, honest (!), and always looking to add a couple of extra players to our team. So get in touch and give it a try – you never know, you might just like it!
Introduced at this age:
- Contested 8 man scrum.
- Uncontested Lineout.
- No.8 can pick and go from base of scrum.
|Max Players||15 a side|
|Max Pitch Size||100m x 70m|
|Max minutes each half||25|
|Maximum minutes of match play per day||80 minutes|
|Extra Time Permitted||No|
|Recommended training time duration||120 minutes|
|Match stopped if:||points difference >50|
|Start / Restart||Drop kick must travel at least 10m|
|Scrum||8 trained and willing. Contest strike and push. Number 8 can pick up|
|Lineout||Yes, Uncontested *|
|Offside Distance||Hindmost foot at tackle, Ruck and Maul. 5m from scrum. 10m from free kick. 10m from Lineout.|
|Kicking from Hand||Yes|
|Kicking at Goal||Yes|
|Yellow Card / Sin Bin||5 minutes|
Competition formats allowed:
- Friendly Fixture - Competitive style playing opportunity for two teams, often as part of a club or school/college block fixture, where focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment.
- Triangular - Competitive style playing opportunity for three teams where equal player participation is the emphasis. Focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment rather than the score.
- Festival - Competitive round-robin playing opportunity where equal team and player participation is the emphasis. Scores may be recorded but winning doesn’t affect your ongoing participation as every team plays the same appropriate number of matches.
- Waterfall Tournament - Competitive playing programme where equal participation/progression is the emphasis. The outcome of your pool games are recorded to enable every team to advance to later rounds for an equal number of matches against similar level teams.
- Knockout Tournament - Competitive playing programme where the outcome of the game is recorded and dictates your progression to later knock-out rounds or decides your final standing. Usually includes a winners trophy.
* No contest in the air. Once the ball is caught and the catcher has 2 feet on the ground then a contest (maul) can begin.
Contact information for all the age group coaching team is below.