1st xv Match Reports 2016-2017

1st xv v Market Rasen and Louth 8th April 2017





In an extraordinary finish Leighton Buzzard scored two tries in the last minute of the game to secure a four-try bonus point and ensure the battle for league survival is still in their hands. This dramatic finale put a gloss on what was otherwise a poor second-half performance as Buzzards were well beaten by their Lincolnshire -based hosts.

On a hot and sunny afternoon, Buzzards chose to play with the benefit of a slight breeze. Leighton almost took the lead after three minutes when a Lee Walker penalty bounced off the posts. However,  eight minutes later, and following good play and ball retention through a number of phases, Wills Messum opened the scoring . The try was converted by Lee Walker to give Buzzards an early 7-0 lead.

Moments later, Leighton were unable to capitalise on a superb fifty metre break by Zak Tift but slowly the home side were becoming more dangerous. Whilst the Buzzard lineout was working well, the scrum was coming under increasing pressure from the Market Rasen forwards and, after twenty-three minutes the home side equalised the score with a converted try.

Five minutes later Buzzards retook the lead, perhaps slightly fortuitously. A Market Rasen kick was completely missed on halfway but the bounce took the ball away from the chasing home side and straight to Buzzard centre Mike Robert. He made good ground before delivering the try-scoring pass to Darren Braybrook. Once again the attempted kick bounced off the posts to leave Leighton 12-7 ahead.

Market Rasen hit back almost straightaway scoring an unconverted try two minutes later. There remained time for Buzzards to miss a straightforward penalty attempt so the half–time score was 12-12.

The second half started in disastrous fashion for Leighton – straight from the kickoff Market Rasen made a decisive break and, whilst this was eventually stopped, the re-cycled ball allowed the hosts to score under the posts. Less than a minute of the second half had been played. After a slightly disjointed first-half performance,  Market Rasen were now playing with speed and width. With only five minutes of the half completed, they scored another fine try. With both tries converted, the score was 26-12.

Despite securing limited possession and, with the home side looking almost constantly threatening, Leighton did have their moments; such as Arran Perry’s decisive break from inside his half resulting in Zak Tift being held up just short of the try line. However, Market Rasen were rampant and scored a further try from a lineout and another swift move brought a try in the corner. Both were converted to give Market Rasen a 40-12 lead. Their final try appeared to sum up Buzzards’ day  – an excellent break by captain Euan Irwin had got him to within 5 metres of the line – what would have been the try-scoring pass was intercepted for the home side to run the whole length of the pitch – 47-12.

Whilst knowing they had played poorly, this Buzzard side show considerable spirit in adversity. Finally, in the last minute of the game debutant second row, Owen Forsythe powered over to score. Realising that if they took the conversion there would be no time to restart the game, Leighton waived the opportunity to kick. As a result the game started for one final play. From deep in their own half the ball was transferred for Darren Braybrook to out-sprint the defence to score Buzzards’ fourth try and, in doing so, secure the bonus point.  Final Score 47-24.

Buzzards slip to eleventh but the last ditch bonus point means the continuing relegation battle remains in their hands.  With other results not going their way , Leighton will almost certainly need to win their final match, and possibly with a bonus point, at home to Melton Mowbray on April 22nd  to secure their position in Midlands 1 East.

Comment here