1st xv Match reports 2018 - 2019

1st xv v Oadby Wyggestonians 20th October 2018



For the second successive matc, Leighton Buzzard conceded fifty points at home, this time to Leicestershire based Oadby Wyggestonians. The visitors, with a large pack and hard straight running backs, played a very efficient and straightforward brand of rugby. In particular, they  were clinical when opportunities  arose,  in stark contrast to Buzzards, who were unable to turn a number of chances into scores.

Leighton kicked off down the slope but into a stiff breeze. The opening minutes were played in midfield but after four minutes, and with their first attack, Oadby Wyggs carved open the home defence to score under the posts to take a seven-point lead. Buzzards responded positively  – an attempted penalty drifted just wide and then a clean break by captain Jack Whitehouse was stopped just short. Again Buzzards attacked, with Reece Harris-Smith held up just short.

Whilst Buzzards were unable to convert their opportunities, the visitors were ruthless when they had chances. In a spell of seven minutes midway through the first half, they scored three tries – two from patiently working through the phases to create pressure, and one from an individual break on the left wing. With two of these tries converted and an earlier penalty, Oadby Wyggs were 22-0 ahead. With seven minutes of the half remaining the vistors scored their fourth try to extend the lead to 29 points. Leighton were continuing to put phases together and at times the backs looked threatening  – in their best move of the half, winger Jack Kempster was put into space but a last ditch tackle prevented the try to leave the half time score 0-29.

Leighton started the second half with good pressure  – they had eight phases of play in their opponents twenty-two but were unable to cross the line. Almost inevitably when Oadby Wyggs had the chance they took it – scoring their fifth try nine minutes into the half, to make the score 0-36. In the next twenty minutes Buzzards had a number of opportunities – firstly the pack drove twenty metres from a line-out but a loose pass ended the move. Then wingers Andy Harris-Smith and Jack Kempster combined but a scrambled defence held out and then Ollie Taylor, now playing at fly-half, made a clean break but was tackled just short.

As in the first half Oadby Wyggs were clinical when opportunities came. They added two fine tries , both from inside their own half in the final ten minutes which, with both converted,  made the final score 0-50.

There was little doubt that Oadby Wyggestonians are a fine side and, on the day, gave Leighton a lesson in playing to their game plan and being clinical in taking opportunities with their decisive finishing.

Buzzards remain twelfth and next week travel to Old Northamptonians.



Former Players

On the Run


Where did the scrum go?