Welcome to the LBRFC U10s page
Welcome to the U10 rugby section at Leighton Buzzard RFC. As a coaching group We are committed to offering a fun and inclusive rugby environment where boys and girls in year 5 can play rugby and develop through game play and skill activities. We aim to put the players needs and wants first, with an emphasis on player safety and welfare. We actively promote the 5 RFU core rugby principles of Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline and Sportsmanship in all our activities and games which creates a fun and enjoyable environment which we we hope will help to keep youngsters in the game for longer and encourage fitness and friendships through Sport.
We run training sessions, matches at home and at other local rugby clubs most Sundays from the first Sunday in September to the Last Sunday in April from 1000-1200 come rain or shine. We also try and play in a couple of Rugby Festivals each year, and the club arranges a Minis and Juniors Rugby Tour at the end of the regular season.
We have a group of 5 volunteer coaches (Julian, Nick, Phil, Richard and Tom) in this age group, all RFU qualified (up to Level 2) and who regularly attend RFU CPD training sessions to ensure that the coaching is up to date and fun for everyone.In addition to the on pitch activities we have a great bunch of parents who help to organise and fund raise for the minis and junior section of the club.
The key elements of the Under 10s Rules of Play are:
- Team numbers: max 8-a-side
- Maximum pitch size: 60 metres x 35 metres
- Ball Size: 4
- Introduction of uncontested scrum
- Nearest 3 players in scrum (all players trained, late specialisation)
- Contest for the ball (1 player v 1 player)
- Introduction of Maul
- Introduction of Ruck
|Max Players||8 a side|
|Max Pitch Size||60m x 35m|
|Max minutes each half||15|
|Maximum minutes of match play per day||60 minutes|
|Extra Time Permitted||No|
|Recommended training time duration||90 minutes|
|Match stopped if:||Try difference is 6 or more|
|Start / Restart||Free Pass|
|Tackle||Yes including 3 second hold|
|Scrum||Nearest 3 uncontested|
|Lineout||No, restart with a free pass|
|Ruck||Yes, Limit of 1 supporting player|
|Maul||Yes, Limit of 1 supporting player|
|Offside Distance||Hindmost foot at tackle, ruck and Maul. 5m from scrum.|
|Kicking from Hand||No|
|Kicking at Goal||No|
|Yellow Card / Sin Bin||No|
Age Specific Notes:
- Scrum half not permitted to run from base of scrum.
Competition formats allowed:
- Friendly Fixture – Competitive style playing opportunity for two teams, often as part of a club or school/college block fixture, where focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment.
- Triangular – Competitive style playing opportunity for three teams where equal player participation is the emphasis. Focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment rather than the score.
- Festival – Competitive round-robin playing opportunity where equal team and player participation is the emphasis. Scores may be recorded but winning doesn’t affect your ongoing participation as every team plays the same appropriate number of matches.