The club was founded in 1934 with the enthusiastic support of the towns Cedars Grammar School with which it has always maintained a close support.
The Club flourished during those early years, playing it’s home matches at the Cricket Club’s Bell Close headquarters, but like many others, was disbanded with the outbreak of War.
Sadly many of the founder members did not return from the hostilities and probably in consequence the club was not reformed until mid way through the season 1948/49.
Several successful seasons of Rugby followed, with the club supported by local schools and locally based service personnel, but sadly fell into decline and again was disbanded at the end of the 1955/56 season. Rugby during this immediate post-war period was played at the Capshill Meadow on the Hockliffe Road which is just big enough for one pitch.
The Club of today arguably owes it’s existence to the enthusiasm of a 19 year old Howard Andsell who initiated the reforming of the Club in time for the 1958/59 season and to local businessman Geoff Wright who steered the Club into erecting it’s first Clubhouse in 1962 and in 1965 to the purchase of the Capshill Meadow ground. Proceeds from the sale of the ground in 1973 established the splendid facilities we now enjoy.
The move to Stanbridge Road occurred at a time when the Town was expanding and with many new players available to the Club, was able to attract much stronger fixtures for it’s Senior XV.
Today, the club fields 4 senior sides, Veterans (over 35’s), Colts XV and for the past ten years a ladies XV. The club relies heavily on developing players from within it’s own ranks and is very proud of it’s Junior section which currently boasts a membership of approximately 200 children aged between 5 and 17 years.
The Club’s senior side gained promotion to Midland Division 1, a feeder league to National Division 2 in the season 1988/89. In recent years the club has found a level at Midlands 3 but in 2007/2008 won the playoff to Midlands 2 in a tense battle against Spalding.
From those humble beginnings over 70 years ago LBRFC now provides a sporting centre with which the Town has every right to be proud. However, as an organisation, we cannot afford to stand still and the Club’s Committee are actively looking at ways of improving the facilities for the playing of sport and enjoyment of associated social activities