No Dogs
No Dogs

 

The committee has reconfirmed the club stance that NO Dogs are allowed at the club.

For the safety of ALL players, Leighton Buzzard RFC have a rule that means NO DOGS (except assistance dogs) are allowed within the grounds of Wright’s Meadow. The rule exists because of the potential for the dog excrement to carry nasty bugs which can cause blindness amongst players of all ages, but particularly amongst the children.

Please respect this rule and don’t bring dogs onto the grounds.

Many thanks

Leighton Buzzard RFC

 

Reproduced from Wales Online February 2022

A rugby player has told how dog poo on the pitch has left him with a leg infection which has never healed. Darryl Adams has spent 17 years with a leg that has “never been right” after being stamped on with rugby boot studs which were caked in dog mess.

The 50-year-old is now urging owners to pick up after their pets as part of a national dog fouling campaign, reports Walesonline. The HGV driver from Abertillery, Wales, suffered life-changing injuries after the incident in 2005 on a playing field in Blaenau Gwent which left him in hospital.

The studs cut the skin on his shin and the dog poo caused a cellulitis infection which has caused him problems ever since. The grandfather has had repeated stays in hospital as the bug flares up from even the smallest thing, which can be potentially life-threatening.

“The last time in 2013 was the worst. All it took was heavy flu to trigger it and I was hospitalised for two weeks because the infection had tracked into my veins. Ever since then my leg has never been right, it is constantly swollen and looks awful, all from some selfish person who couldn’t be bothered to pick up after their dog!

“I’m backing Keep Wales Tidy’s dog fouling campaign to urge dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets before more people are seriously harmed.”

 
 
Darryl's infected leg in 2013
Darryl’s infected leg in 2013 (Image: SWNS)

Dog poo remains a persistent issue in communities across the country and Keep Wales Tidy, the national dog fouling campaign, aims to raise awareness of the health risks associated with dog poo. As well as carrying harmful bacteria which can lead to infection, asthma and even blindness, bacteria can live in soil long after the dog poo has decomposed.

Keep Wales Tidy Chief Executive Lesley Jones said: “We urge the minority of irresponsible dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets. By not picking up after your dog, you could be putting people at risk. Darryl’s story highlights just how harmful dog poo can be for people.

 
 
Darryl in his rugby-playing days before the life-changing incident in 2005 (Image: SWNS)

The nationwide campaign is being run as part of Caru Cymru (a Welsh phrase meaning ‘Love Wales’) – an inclusive movement led by Keep Wales Tidy and local authorities to inspire people to take action and care for the environment.

Mr Adams suffered his injury almost two decades ago but the problem of poo on the pitch remains. More recently, eight-year-old Jake Harding had a “close escape” after he fell in dog mess while warming up to play an under 9’s rugby game at Newbridge RFC in Caerphilly. It narrowly missed his eye which could have had severe consequences for him and his family.

Newbridge RFC has now partnered with Keep Wales Tidy following the incident to highlight the dangers of dog mess.

Club director Dafydd Martin-Lloyd said: “A young boy left his house excited about going to play a game of rugby. Whilst warming up he was tackled and landed face first in dog mess.

“Due to where it was on his face, and the fact that the worst-case scenario is you can lose your sight from it, it was very alarming. Fortunately, it didn’t go in his eyes but it was a very close escape.

“Dog fouling on our rugby pitch isn’t acceptable and needs to stop. We’ve teamed up with Keep Wales Tidy to urge dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets before a child is seriously harmed.”