Welcome to the U12s page for LBRFC. If you are in year 7 at school and are interested in playing rugby, or already play but fancy giving club rugby a go, then you have come to the right place!
The U12s have up to 40 sessions across the season (generally from the first weekend in September to first weekend in May) consisting of Games (home and away), Tournaments, and Training sessions. These sessions start at 10am on a Sunday and run for around 2 hours. For the last 3 years we have also been on tour to attend various tournaments across the UK.
We are fortunate to have a strong coaching team including qualified coaches, referees and first aiders. U12s Rugby is full contact with 5 man scrums, and kicking. Full training is provided to anyone who needs to be brought up to speed and boys who are new to sport will be gradually introduced to contact in a safe, supported environment.
If you are interested in learning more, or coming along and giving LBRFC a try, then please either contact the Head Coach or pop along to the club when we have a home game or training session on a Sunday.
We run trial sessions throughout the season so new starters are always welcome. These session are free, no obligation sessions, but we hope to get you hooked on the game.
We look forward to seeing you at the Club
Introduced at this age:
- 5 man scrum (nearest 5)
- No limit to numbers in ruck and maul
- Introduction of fend/hand off – (below armpit)
- 22m drop out
|Max Players||12 a side|
|Max Pitch Size||60m x 43m|
|Max minutes each half||20|
|Maximum minutes of match play per day||70 minutes|
|Extra Time Permitted||No|
|Recommended training time duration||120 minutes|
|Match stopped if:||Try difference is 6 or more|
|Start / Restart||Drop kick must travel at least 7m|
|Scrum||Nearest 5, Contest strike only, no push. Only Hookers my strike for the ball.|
|Lineout||No, restart with a free pass|
|Offside Distance||Hindmost foot at tackle, ruck and Maul. 5m from scrum. 7m from free kick. 7m from free pass.|
|Fend Off||Yes – below armpit|
|Kicking from Hand||Yes. ‘Fly hack’ not permitted|
|Kicking at Goal||No|
|Yellow Card / Sin Bin||No|
Age Specific Notes:
- Continuation of the contested strike at the scrum
- Defending scrum half must not move beyond the tunnel
- Scrum half must pass from the base of the scrum – May not run with the ball
Competition formats allowed:
- Friendly Fixture – Competitive style playing opportunity for two teams, often as part of a club or school/college block fixture, where focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment.
- Triangular – Competitive style playing opportunity for three teams where equal player participation is the emphasis. Focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment rather than the score.
- Festival – Competitive round-robin playing opportunity where equal team and player participation is the emphasis. Scores may be recorded but winning doesn’t affect your ongoing participation as every team plays the same appropriate number of matches.
- Waterfall Tournament – Competitive playing programme where equal participation/progression is the emphasis. The outcome of your pool games are recorded to enable every team to advance to later rounds for an equal number of matches against similar level teams.