Leighton Buzzard U13s are embarking on a new season where our current squad are learning the skills for the full game. Children of all standards are welcome, whether new to the game or experienced from school, our coaches will try to engage new players with the game and introduce them to the players.
We train from 10:00am every Sunday from September to May unless we are engaged in inter-club matches when timings and venues vary.
We think the game provides discipline, structure and develops team spirit. We encourage good behaviour from both Children and Parents, especially when entertaining other teams to play. Abusive behaviour will not be tolerated and can result in exclusion from the team and club.
Please feel free to come and try out with us. Either contact us below or join us at the club for a training session. Players of all shapes, sizes and standards are welcome as we are able to run 2 teams every week, the 1st team and a development team. Parents are also welcome to help with Coaching, Organisation and Admin.
We train from 10:00 am every Sunday during the season at Wrights Meadow unless we are engaged in inter-club matches when timings and venues vary – we will run training sessions at home most weeks for those players not selected for away matches. This season marks the players` entry into the world of 13-man rugby – 6 forwards & a full set of backs , tactical and goal-kicking, and proper kick-offs ! When training we will start at 10:00 am sharp with a 15 minute fitness session, moving into skills coaching, backs and forwards coaching and game play. Leighton Buzzard RFC kit is required for inter-club matches but an additional jersey or training top will be necessary for training days. Mouthguard, boots and attitude are also essential!
Introduced at this age:
- 6 man fully contested scrum.
- Sin Bin 5 minutes.
- Scrum half may pass or run with the ball.
|Max Players||13 a side|
|Max Pitch Size||90m x 60m|
|Max minutes each half||25|
|Maximum minutes of match play per day||80 minutes|
|Extra Time Permitted||No|
|Recommended training time duration||120 minutes|
|Match stopped if:||points difference >50|
|Start / Restart||Drop kick must travel at least 10m|
|Scrum||6 trained and willing. Contest strike and push. No number 8 pickup|
|Lineout||No, restart with a free pass|
|Offside Distance||Hindmost foot at tackle, ruck and Maul. 5m from scrum. 10m from free kick. 10m from free pass.|
|Fend Off||Yes – below armpit|
|Kicking from Hand||Yes. incl. ‘Fly hack’|
|Kicking at Goal||No|
|Drop Goal||Not Permitted|
|Yellow Card / Sin Bin||5 minutes|
Age Specific Notes:
- No.8 cannot pick up from scrum
Competition formats allowed:
- Friendly Fixture – Competitive style playing opportunity for two teams, often as part of a club or school/college block fixture, where focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment.
- Triangular – Competitive style playing opportunity for three teams where equal player participation is the emphasis. Focus is on maximising all your player’s involvement, development and enjoyment rather than the score.
- Festival – Competitive round-robin playing opportunity where equal team and player participation is the emphasis. Scores may be recorded but winning doesn’t affect your ongoing participation as every team plays the same appropriate number of matches.
- Waterfall Tournament – Competitive playing programme where equal participation/progression is the emphasis. The outcome of your pool games are recorded to enable every team to advance to later rounds for an equal number of matches against similar level teams.