1st xv Match reports 2018 - 2019

Warm up Match v Fullerians 23rd August 2018

Spirited young Buzzards show great promise in narrow defeat.


Fullerians 29-  24 Leighton Buzzard



Buzzards continued their pre-season warm up matches with a Thursday evening visit to Watford based Fullerians . Rarely can a defeat have provided so much encouragement as this performance did. Despite being well behind at half time, four second half tries was testament to their spirit, skill and fitness and left the home side nervously checking the score in the final minutes.


As Director of Rugby, Dave Larham, commented  “ We had several teenagers in the team and these players provided us with energy, ambition and an ability to play without fear. They complement the experienced players and give us the depth in squad we desperately need over a full season league campaign. It demonstrates the quality of youth coming through our Junior Academy and we are delighted to be able to transition these players in to the senior squad.”


Fullerians play Level 6 rugby in the London Leagues so it was always likely to be a tough test for the young Buzzard team. Despite being smaller than their opposition the Buzzard pack was excellent at the scrum, forcing the home team to concede penalties. The Leighton line-out was also functioning well securing their own ball and stealing possession on the Fullerians throw.

The home team backs looked dangerous all evening with genuine speed out wide. In contrast, Buzzards were trying new combinations at half back and midfield and were understandably uncertain in the early exchanges.

Fullerians opened the scoring midway through the first half with a try in the corner. Jacob Murtagh came closest to scoring with a 80 metre run following an interception but was caught 5 metres from the line. Two further tries late in the half gave the home side a slightly flattering 17-0 half time lead.

The second half was a different story as Buzzards new combinations began to gel. A splendid break by Mike Robert made the opening for Ryan Eaton to score after 8 minutes. A well worked line-out with coach Tom Mowbray gave Dan Baroux the opportunity to score the second try. Winger Felix Fisk scored a brilliant try from inside his own half after 32 minutes with Elliot Swann claiming the final try with two minutes left. Ollie Gronert, who had an excellent game , converted two of the tries. Fullerians scored two tries of their own after 16 and 30 minutes to leave the final score  29-24

A  very useful work-out leaves Buzzards in good heart and ready for their first league game away at Wellingborough.